English language proficiency tests

If you need proof of your English language proficiency because you are going to study abroad, for example, then the institution-specific ITP TOEFL at VU University will not be sufficient. This is because the results of this exam are only valid here.

TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

The TOEFL iBT (internet-based) is offered throughout the year, and results remain valid for two years. Testing centers are located in in Amsterdam, Arnhem and Velp:

  • Havengebouw Kingsfordweg 43, 1043 GP Amsterdam
  • IP Computer Trainingscentrum, Janspoort 1-3, 6811 GE Arnhem
  • Opleidingsinstituut Relay, Scheldestraat 2c, 6882 NE Velp


You can register at http://www.toefl.org/. Choose: Register now. You will then see a list of available dates and locations. After you register you will receive further information by e-mail.

Further information 

On the TOEFL website you will also find further information about the TOEFL, its structure and content, and how to prepare for it. 

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

The IELTS is offered at least four times a month, and results remain valid for two years. You can take the test at the British Language Training Centre (BLTC) in Amsterdam.

Further information 

On the IELTS website you will find further information about the test dates, the test’s structure and content, and how to prepare for it. You can also register on this website.

There are two Cambridge exams: the CAE (Certificate of Advanced English) and CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English). The CAE exam tests your knowledge of English at C1 level, while the CPE is based on C2 level.

Further information

For more information on the tests, locations and test dates, please see the website of the British Council or the website of the British Language Training Centre (BLTC).